Sunday 28 August 2016

Seven Day Nature Photo Challenge - Day Three

Over on that there Facebook, I have been challenged to post a photo of nature every day for a week (seven days), and to nominate others to do the same. I've accepted the challenge and to make matters more difficult for myself (why do things easy, when you can make it hard) I'm going to try to post only genuine seasonal photos (i.e. seasonal as of now).

Day 3: Yesterday there were three (three!) buzzards soaring over my house. This is one of them.


It is moments like these which have led to buzzards insinuating themselves into my poetry quite so often, as in the poem Replacing Helicopters With Buzzards. Here is an extract to show what I am talking about:

From "Replacing Helicopters With Buzzards" by J.S.Watts

Across the empty sky spread
above my roof, the hollow mew
of the buzzard calls out now.
Steady feathered fingers reach
towards the chimney, but do not touch.
The buzzard is intent on the fields
behind the house, hovering
to snatch a rabbit,
or other small creature,
living and dying out there.
The heavy beat of large wings clearing
the sky of smaller birds.

"Replacing Helicopters With Buzzards" appears in the New Ulster anthology, "Voices For Peace".

No comments:

Post a Comment